NEW YORK — The Daily Meal’s recent list of “101 Best Beers in America” includes five beers from Ohio brewers.
The list was based on ratings on Untappd, BeerAdvocate and RateBeer, as well as Daily Meal editors’ tasting experience and knowledge.
Ohio beers on the list, along with The Daily Meal’s description, were:
- Columbus Brewing Co., Columbus, Bodhi. “This golden IPA highlights Citra hops but is truly balanced in every sense of the word.”
- Hoof Hearted Brewing, Marengo, Konkey Dong. “Beyond the fun name and money-in-a-barrel label, Konkey Dong is a smooth, creamy, and lightly bubbly Double IPA that’s somehow both dry and full of fruity, juicy hop flavor. It’s insanely drinkable and as good a flagship beer as any out there.”
- Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, Chillwave Double IPA. “GLBC really perfected their hoppy brews with the springtime Chillwave Double IPA. Named for surfers who brave the waters of Lake Erie, this beer is so hoppy yet balanced, leading to easy drinking for snowy Ohio winters and warm summer nights.”
- Fat Head’s Brewery, North Olmstead, Hop JuJu. “A powerhouse, powerfully hoppy beer with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra hops. This February release has a cult-like following, so be sure to hunt this down when you have the chance.”
- Hoppin’ Frog Brewery, Akron, B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher: “Thick, creamy, and pitch black, this beer has a dark, fruity taste with just a bit of coffee and roasted malts on the tongue. It’s not for the faint of heart; you’ll taste every bit of that 9.4 percent ABV, so sip this slowly and enjoy.”
Nearly every state is represented on the list, thanks to special consideration given to less beer-heavy states, and the list is diverse in beer styles. Additionally, the beers on the list are unranked.